Run for AUSU Council!
Do you want a great opportunity to get involved with your AU Students’ Union, a chance to advocate and represent your fellow students, and gain some great experience?
Nominations are now being accepted for AUSU’s 2018 General Election!
There are 13 council seats available. You can run for council no matter where you live – AUSU work is primarily done remotely, and meetings are by teleconference.
AUSU councillors guide and direct the organization through its mission, vision, and values. Councillors attend council and committee meetings by teleconference, develop strategic plans and an annual budget, and more. You can find out more about councillor responsibilities in AUSU Policy 2.14 Councillor Responsibility and Honoraria.
In addition, following the general election, the three executive positions will be internally elected from the new councillors-elect. The executive positions consist of the President, VP External and Student Affairs, and VP Finance and Administration, with competitive remuneration. You can find out more about the executive positions in AUSU Policy 2.03 Responsibilities of Executive Officers and AUSU Policy 2.15 Executive Accountability and Compensation.
Download the Nomination Package Here.
Deadline to Submit Nomination: February 7 at midnight Mountain Time.
Complete Nomination Form in full and email to the Chief Returning Officer at [email protected].
Benefits of Being on AUSU Council:
- The opportunity to affect the post-secondary experience for students at AU.
- Governance training and experience, including how to read and revise policies, how to conduct meetings, how to develop goals and strategic plans, and more.
- Having a voice regarding AUSU services and advocacy for AU students.
- The opportunity to learn more about the management of your university, as well as post-secondary education on a provincial and national level.
- Work experience (especially for those who are elected to an executive position).
- Receive councillor honorarium for attending council and committee meetings. We value your time!
- Executives receive a significant honorarium and benefits, and get the opportunity to travel numerous times per year on AUSU business.
|Call for Nominations||January 26 to February 7, 2018|
|Nominees Announced||February 12, 2018|
|Campaign Period||February 12 to March 6, 2018|
|Election Debate 1 (tentative)||February 20, 2018 at 1pm MT|
|Election Debate 2 (tentative)||February 22, 2018 at 6pm MT|
|Election Debate 3 (tentative)||February 24, 2018 at 1pm MT|
|Voting Period||February 28 – March 6, 2018|
|Special Meeting to Announce Results||March 8, 2018 at 5:30pm MT|
|Appeals Period||March 8 to 15, 2018|
|Council Changeover Meeting||April 10, 2018 at 5:30pm MT|
For more information about AUSU elections and election procedures, please review section 3 of the AUSU policy manual, which can be found online here.
For more information about councillor roles, responsibilities, and honorarium, please review section section 2 of the AUSU policy manual, found online here.
If you still have questions, contact the Chief Returning Officer, Jacqueline Keena, at [email protected].
You can also post questions in the online election forum here.