AUSU is Hiring a New Social Media Assistant!
AUSU is looking for a talented and professional Social Media Assistant to join our team! This is a great part-time employment opportunity for someone with a background in marketing, social media, business communications, or related field. Applicants must have the ability to work remotely, either on a regular or part-time basis.
The deadline to apply is September 16, 2020.
Title: Communication Assistant
Role: Part Time (25 Hours per week)
Head Office Location: Edmonton, AB
Supervisor: Executive Director
Created: August 2020
The Athabasca University Students’ Union represents over 40,000 AU undergraduate students and was the first students’ union recognized for its ongoing advocacy of online distance learning. Established by the Post-secondary Learning Act of Alberta, AUSU’s primary role is to advocate for and support students throughout their AU experience.
We are hiring a talented and professional Social Media Assistant to join our team. The Social Media Assistant will work closely with the entire AUSU team to increase brand awareness through the usage of multiple social media platforms. This individual will collaborate regularly with the Communications and Member Services Coordinator regarding activities associated with member services and communications. The primary goals of this position will be to focus on online member engagement and creating awareness within the student membership of all AUSU offerings, initiatives, and resources available to students. This position reports to the Executive Director and works alongside a strong team of professional staff and elected student executives.
- Provide assistance and support to AUSU Staff, Executive Committee, and Council in the development and implementation of communication plans for all AUSU initiatives.
- Assist in planning, implementing, and monitoring all aspects of the organization’s communications and social media strategy in order to increase brand awareness, student engagement, and communications across AUSU.
- Engage with followers professionally by responding to replies and inquiries.
- Assist in implementing plans to increase followers and engagement on all social media platforms.
- Oversee the AUSU social media portfolio including, but not limited to, the following communication channels:
- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn Learning
- Manage overall social media strategies, including:
- Creation of student-driven social media content relevant to AUSU members.
- Checking AUSU social media sites for responses and inquiries.
- Checking feeds and organizations for relevant news stories, tags, and mentions.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of engagement campaigns, events, and contests.
- Developing images, graphics, and video content as required.
- Maintaining visual style cohesion, branding, and collaboration across platforms.
- Assisting with managing the social media calendar.
- Analyzing analytics to gauge success of campaigns.
- Planning, preparing, and posting weekly social media content around current AUSU and AU topics and services.
- Coordinating with AU communications team to develop and share content relevant to AU students.
- Promoting the work done by the AUSU council through social media, including sharing and tagging images from events, meeting, conferences, and other initiatives as they occur.
- Ensure staff and executives are aware of social media events that affect AUSU.
- Support the Communications and Member Services Coordinator in their role of managing AUSU communications and services, collecting social media data, and communicating to our student membership.
- Assist in the ongoing growth of AUSU services by raising awareness through various social media platforms.
- Research and familiarization of services available to AU students.
- Aid in the daily aspects of promoting AUSU campaigns.
Council and Committee Support
- Provide staff support upon request to the Council or Executive Committee, particularly with respect to social media communication.
- Prioritize assigned tasks as directed or required.
- Copy-edit communications material as required.
- Ensure that all confidential material is stored and/or destroyed appropriately, according to records management policy.
- Occasional execution of research and projects as directed.
- Experience using social media management tools is an asset.
- Post-secondary education in the field of marketing, communications, business, public relations, social media, or a related field.
- Excellent knowledge of social media platforms, particularly Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Knowledge of online analytic tools.
- Creative mindset and the ability to multi-task.
- Clear communicator with attention to detail.
- Team orientated, with a positive can-do attitude.
- Ability to deliver creative content (text, image, and video) using relevant social trends. Experience creating video content for all platforms, with focus on YouTube and Instagram.
- Prior experience working with marketing and social media.
- Prior experience working in a student union environment is an asset.
- Prior AU student experience is an asset.
- Familiarity with Canva, Sprout Social, MailChimp, and WordPress is an asset.
- Ability to work remotely, either on a regular or part-time basis, with some evening work.
Hours of Employment
- The Social Media Assistant will work 25 hours per week. Edmonton office maintains standard business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30-4:30 MT). Some evening work may be required.
- The Athabasca University Students’ Union offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. The starting salary range for this position is $28,000 – $31,000 annually, depending on experience and qualifications.
To apply to this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to Mr. Jodi Campbell, Executive Director, at [email protected] by September 16, 2020.