AUSU is Hiring a New Communications and Member Services Coordinator!
AUSU is looking for a Communications and Member Services Coordinator to join our team!
The deadline to apply is March 14, 2021.
Title: Communication and Member Services Coordinator
Role: Full Time (35 Hours per week)
Head Office Location: Edmonton, AB
Supervisor: Executive Director
Created: February 2021
The Athabasca University Students’ Union represents over 40,000 AU undergraduate students and was the first students’ union recognized for its ongoing advocacy of online distance learning. Established by the Post-secondary Learning Act of Alberta, AUSU’s primary role is to advocate for and support students throughout their AU experience.
We are hiring a talented and professional Communications and Member Services Coordinator to join our team. The Communications and Member Services Coordinator will work closely with the Executive Director and the AUSU team to enhance the overall Athabasca University student experience through meaningful programs and services. This individual will collaborate regularly with the Social Media Coordinator regarding activities associated with member services and communications. The primary goals of this position will be to effectively manage the AUSU student communications and member services offered through our online delivery, with a focus on creating awareness of all the undergraduate student opportunities and support services offered through the students’ union. This position reports to the Executive Director and works alongside a strong team of professional staff and elected student executives.
- Provide assistance and support to AUSU Staff, Executive Committee, and Council in the development and implementation of communication plans for all AUSU initiatives, increasing brand awareness, student engagement, and communications across AUSU platforms.
- Manage overall communications strategies for the AU students’ union, including:
- Creation of student-driven content relevant to AUSU members.
- Checking AUSU communication channels for student inquiries and responses.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of student engagement campaigns, events, and contests.
- Create and send e-newsletter to all members bi-monthly.
- Developing images and graphics content as required. Maintaining visual style cohesion, branding, and collaboration across platforms.
- Monitoring student community platforms, such as discord channel and Facebook groups.
- Maintain and monitor all aspects of the AUSU website (WordPress). Website updates, news stories, council and staff information, BBPress forums, and performance analytics.
- Tracking statistics on social media, website, member services, and student engagement.
- Collaborate with the Social Media Coordinator in developing and implementing plans to increase followers and engagement on all AUSU social media platforms including, but not limited to:
- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn Learning
- Coordinating with Athabasca University communications team to develop and share content relevant to AU students.
- Promoting executive committee initiatives through the website, including developing content from events, meetings, conferences, and other projects as they occur.
- Play key administrative and coordinating role for new and existing member services.
- Provide support to the Executive Director and Executive Councillors on the exploration and development of new member services.
- Assist in the ongoing growth of AUSU member services by raising awareness through all the AUSU communications platforms.
- Research and familiarization of Athabasca University services available to students.
- Oversee annual projects such as the annual report, annual survey, and yearly contests.
- Provide support to the Administrative Assistant, by responding to student inquires, researching student concerns, and advising Executive Director regarding trends and challenges.
Council and Committee Support
- Provide staff support upon request to the Council or Executive Committee, particularly with respect to AUSU communications and member services.
- Provide staff support to the Members Engagement and Communications Committee, as well as other standing or ad hoc committees as required.
- Develop monthly member services report for council.
- Proofread and copy-edit communications material as required.
- Ensure that all confidential material is stored and/or destroyed appropriately, according to records management policy and ensure database of student feedback is maintained.
- Assist and support the AUSU awards program processes, as required.
- Occasional execution of research and projects as directed.
- Collaborating with Executive Director and team of staff on projects and initiatives.
- Post-secondary degree in the field of marketing, communications, business, or a related field.
- Excellent knowledge of social media platforms, particularly Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, and LinkedIn Learning – and the use of appropriate online performance analytic tools.
- Experience with Google Accounts, Sprout Social, Canva, BBPress, MailChimp, and Survey Monkey.
- Excellent knowledge of WordPress and Website Maintenance.
- Clear communicator with creative mindset, attention to detail, and ability to multi-task.
- Team orientated, with a positive can-do attitude.
- Prior experience working in the marketing and communications field.
- Prior experience working in a student union environment is an asset.
- Prior AU student experience is an asset.
- Ability to work remotely, either on a regular or part-time basis, with some evening work.
Hours of Employment
- The Communications and Member Services Coordinator will work 7 hours per day for a total of 35 hours per week. AUSU staff maintain standard business hours, with flexibility (Monday to Friday, 8:30-4:30 MT). Some evening work may be required.
- The Athabasca University Students’ Union offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. The starting salary range for this position is $50,000 – $52,000 annually, depending on experience and qualifications.
To apply to this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to Mr. Jodi Campbell, Executive Director, at [email protected].