AUSU is Hiring!
Social Media Coordinator
Title: Social Media Coordinator
Role: Part Time (30 Hours per week)
Head Office Location: Edmonton, AB
Supervisor: Executive Director
Created: June 2021
The Athabasca University Students’ Union (AUSU) represents over 38,000 AU undergraduate students annually and was the first students’ union recognized for its ongoing advocacy of online distance learning. Established by the Post-secondary Learning Act of Alberta, AUSU’s primary role is to advocate for and support students throughout their AU experience.
We are hiring a talented and professional Social Media Coordinator to join our team. The Social Media Coordinator will work closely with the entire AUSU team to increase brand awareness through the usage of multiple social media platforms. This individual will collaborate regularly with the Communications and Member Services Coordinator regarding activities associated with member services and communications. The primary goals of this position will be to focus on online member engagement and creating awareness within the student membership of all AUSU offerings, initiatives, and resources available to students. This position reports to the Executive Director and works alongside a strong team of professional staff and elected student executives.
- Provide assistance and support to AUSU Staff, Executive Committee, and Council in the development and implementation of communication plans for all AUSU initiatives.
- Assist in planning, implementing, and monitoring all aspects of the organization’s communications and social media strategy in order to increase brand awareness, student engagement, and communications across AUSU.
- Engage with followers professionally by responding to replies and inquiries.
- Assist in implementing plans to increase followers and engagement on all social media platforms.
- Oversee the AUSU social media portfolio including, but not limited to, the following communication channels:
- Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Mobile App, and LinkedIn Learning
- Manage overall social media strategies, including:
- Creation of student-driven social media content relevant to AUSU members.
- Checking AUSU social media sites for responses and inquiries.
- Checking feeds and organizations for relevant news stories, tags, and mentions.
- Assisting with the development and implementation of engagement campaigns, events, and contests.
- Developing images, graphics, and video content as required.
- Maintaining visual style cohesion, branding, and collaboration across platforms.
- Assisting with managing the social media calendar.
- Reviewing analytics to gauge success of campaigns.
- Planning, preparing, and posting weekly social media content around current AUSU and AU topics and services.
- Monitor the activities within the AUSU Mobile App and update content as needed.
- Coordinating with AU communications team to develop and share content relevant to AU students.
- Promoting the work done by the AUSU council through social media, including sharing and tagging images from events, meeting, conferences, and other initiatives as they occur.
- Ensure staff and executives are aware of social media events that affect AUSU.
- Support the Communications and Member Services Coordinator in their role of managing AUSU communications and services, collecting social media data, and communicating to our student membership.
- Assist in the ongoing growth of AUSU services by raising awareness through various social media platforms.
- Research and familiarization of services available to AU students.
- Aid in the daily aspects of promoting AUSU campaigns.
Council and Committee Support
- Provide staff support upon request to the Council or Executive Committee, particularly with respect to social media communication.
- assigned tasks as directed or required.
- Copy-edit communications material as required.
- Ensure that all confidential material is stored and/or destroyed appropriately, according to records management policy.
- Occasional execution of research and projects as directed.
- Experience using social media management tools is an asset.
- Post-secondary education in the field of marketing, communications, business, public relations, social media, or a related field.
- Excellent knowledge of social media platforms, particularly Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
- Knowledge of online analytic tools.
- Creative mindset and the ability to multi-task.
- Clear communicator with attention to detail.
- Team orientated, with a positive can-do attitude.
- Ability to deliver creative content (text, image, and video) using relevant social trends. Experience creating video content for all platforms, with a focus on YouTube and Instagram.
- Prior experience working with marketing and social media.
- Prior experience working in a student union environment is an asset.
- Prior AU student experience is an asset.
- Familiarity with Canva, Sprout Social, MailChimp, and WordPress is an asset.
- Ability to work remotely, either on a regular or part-time basis, with some evening work.
Hours of Employment
- The Social Media Coordinator will work 6 hours per day for a total of 30 hours per week, with flexible options. AUSU maintains standard business hours (Monday to Friday, 8:30-4:30 MT). Some evening work may be required.
- The Athabasca University Students’ Union offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. The starting salary range for this position is $34,000 – $36,000 annually, depending on experience and qualifications.
To apply to this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to Mr. Jodi Campbell, Executive Director, at [email protected]