Reply To: What interests you most about serving on Students’ Council?

karenjuliafletcher
Participant

I love finding practical solutions to problems that make students’ lives better. I’m running for re-election and one of the things I’ve found most satisfying about my current role is being able to come to the university administration and say things like, “Hey, students have been concerned about _______ it would fix it if you would ________” and then have them do it. I’ve managed to get the tuition payment website fixed so it’s clear how students can go about paying their tuition, got AU to put aside money for students who need help paying for an assessment so they can access accommodations they need for school, and most recently they’re going to change the courses descriptions that simply say “temporarily closed” to let students know when we can expect the course to be open again, so students can plan our education. I’ve also loved working on the bigger projects too (speaking up against tuition, making sure students’ voices are heard in committees), and seeing practical changes that actually help students is the thing that gets me most excited about serving AU students.