Nominee – Natalia Iwanek, Mississauga, Ontario

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Natalia Iwanek
      Participant

Hello everyone!

My name is Natalia Iwanek and I look forward to answering all of your questions!

I recently came back to the Toronto area, after a few years of living in Calgary, Edmonton, and the Vancouver area. I suppose I could describe myself as a traveller; I have lived in a variety of countries since birth.

I am a proponent of lifelong learning, having recently returned to school after a 10-year hiatus. Above all, I believe in inclusivity and creating a welcoming environment for everyone. I strongly support making learning accessible to all, through the use of plain language in academia.

As councillor, I would like to focus on the recent tuition increase. In addition, as AU students, we are often quite isolated as a result of our distance education. I would advocate strongly for increased mental health support, as well as professional networking opportunities. I would also attempt to create increased support for new students, recent immigrants, students with chronic illness and disability, as well as the queer community.

My love of reading has led me to my third year of a Bachelor of Arts in English at Athabasca. I am also a freelance copy editor, proofreader, and writer. At any given moment, you will find me surrounded by books, scouring second-hand bookstores, and adding more titles to my overflowing list of must-reads.

I contribute to a variety of publications, one of which is Athabasca’s very own The Voice. I enjoy learning languages and speak English, Ukrainian, and Spanish fluently, with a fair amount of Polish as well.

I feel that my experience as a student, as well as my professional background, would allow me to serve fellow students.

Please feel free to contact me here, on Facebook, or email at [email protected]

I look forward to advocating on everyone’s behalf!
      – Natalia

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.